Safety Information From Meta
Safety Information From Meta
Features to protect teens:
• Age verification
• ‘Hidden Words’ comment and DM filter
• Supervision Tools on Instagram: Parents around the world can access Family Center and set up tools with their teen to supervise their Instagram experience.
o Set specific times during the day or week when they would like to limit their
teen’s use of Instagram.
o View how much time their teens spend on Instagram and set time limits.
o Be notified when their teen shares they’ve reported someone including
who was reported and the type of report.
o View and receive updates on what accounts their teens follow and the
accounts that follow their teens.
o View and be notified if their teen makes an update to their privacy and
o See which accounts their teens have blocked.
• Sensitive Content Control: The Sensitive Content Control has only two options for teens: “Standard” and “Less.” New teens on Instagram under 16 years old will be defaulted into the “Less” state. For teens already on Instagram, we will send a prompt encouraging them to select the “Less” experience. This will make it more difficult for young people to come across potentially sensitive content or accounts in Search, Explore, Hashtag Pages, Reels, Feed Recommendations and Suggested Accounts.
• ‘Take a Break’ reminders: We now give people on Instagram the option to turn on ‘break reminders’ so they can remind themselves when they’ve spent 10, 20 or 30 minutes on the app in a given visit to the app. When you hit your ‘break reminder,’ you’ll also see expert-backed tips on how to reset and take a moment away from social media. For teens, we encourage them to turn these on when they’ve been on the app for a period of time.
• Teen topic nudge: Alternate topic nudge reminds teens to switch to a different topic if they’ve been scrolling on the same content for some time. We see that it’s working too — in an early test, one in five teens who saw a “nudge” switched to a different topic.
More features to protect teens:
• Expert-backed in-app resources specific to suicide, self-harm & eating disorders
• Dedicated reporting option for eating disorder content
• Options to hide like counts
• Restricting DMs between adults and teens
• Default private accounts for teens
• Additional defaults for teens
• Preventing suspicious adults from finding and following teens
• Defaulting teens into certain content settings
All content provided and shared on this platform (including any information provided by users) is intended only for informational, entertainment, and communication purposes on matters of public interest and concern and is not intended to replace or substitute for professional medical, financial, legal, or other advice. None of the content should be considered mental health or medical advice or an endorsement, representation or warranty that any particular treatment is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. If you have specific concerns or a situation in which you require professional or medical advice, you should consult with an appropriately trained and qualified specialist.